Could you be an Acompalia Volunteer?
From fundraising events to phone support, and from selling tickets to helping out at medical appointments; volunteers are a vital part of our Acompalia team.
We warmly welcome your energy and enthusiasm. In return for your time and talents, we offer practical support, friendly teamwork and the great feeling you get when you’re working for a truly worthwhile purpose.
We’d love to hear from you.
‘The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.’
“Acompanions” – Buddying Volunteers
- This service needs volunteers who speak both Spanish and English.
- Acompanions accompany the patient during doctor or hospital visits and later when nurses and doctors from the Cuidados Paliativos team at Motril Hospital visit the patient.
- The volunteer needs to be able to travel independently and handle direct contact with the patient.
- Specialised training is provided, with an emphasis on empathy with support for both patient and Acompanion.
- Acompalia’s Telephone Helpline is currently manned twice a week.
- Volunteers have the Helpline number diverted to their own landline or mobile, so they can offer their services from home.
- The Helpline provides practical support and a listening ear to patients and their families when they need it most.
- Training and support are provided.
We have opened our First Charity Shop, located at Peñoncillos at the entrance to Lanjarón from Granada. We are now seeking part-time volunteers. Volunteers should be trustworthy, sociable, energetic and enthusiastic about promoting Acompalia’s work!
Fundraising, a charity’s lifeblood!
Fundraising events are vital to Acompalia’s services and future plans. We welcome help with organising such events, including:
- selling tickets
- promoting events via social media and posters
- running the bar or helping with catering
- manning a stall at a market or rastro (boot sale)
- leading children’s activities
- providing live music and other entertainment
- clearing up after events
More ways to work with Acompalia
We warmly welcome individuals and groups to share our vision and get involved in helping Acompalia, by raising awareness and funds with us. There is so much you can do with a little time and talent, energy and enthusiasm!
Here are a few suggestions to help you get started. You can arrange your own activity or help out with events that are already taking place.
Organise an Event
The goal is to invite family and friends to share a fun event and make a donation to this great cause. And to demonstrate how they, too, can support people with terminal illnesses who are living in our community by fundraising in this way.
A walk, concert, sports tournament, a talk about aspects of Granada life. Throw a party, provide a giant paella, have a coffee morning and cake stall.
It’s about honouring life by enjoying life and giving people an enjoyable time.
Help us spread the word to new supporters. Invite family and friends for coffee or tea and one of our committee members will be happy to give a short presentation.
We understand how much time and effort this takes. So we are happy to help you get started, or to welcome you as a volunteer for one of our planned events. We can help you!
Ask your sports/social club to fundraise for Acompalia
We are happy to welcome groups, clubs and associations who’d like to join us in promoting and fundraising for Acompalia. Several groups in the Costa Tropical region have dedicated time and energy to spreading the Acompalia message and organizing promotional activities or running a stall for us at local ‘Rastro’ markets and other events.
They’re having fun and doing a great job, plus getting positive publicity in press releases and on our website. Would your group like to create some fundraising opportunities or support Acompalia?
Display an Acompalia Car Sticker
Order our distinctive car sticker and spread the word about Acompalia wherever you go! These stickers could be used in local shops or restaurants as well.
You can buy an Acompalia sticker in local Rastros, any event that Acompalia’s volunteers organise or visit us in the Acompalia Shop & Centre, Lanjaron in Calle Penoncillos.